Friday, July 4, 2008

The Mekong and Luang Prabang


After two days of sailing down the beautiful Mekong River we have arrived in the Laos city of Luang Prabang. I celebrated the 4th of July last evening with an amazing french inspired dinner at a local restaurant. The river boat journey was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable experiences of this trip so far. The wife of the boat captain served us delicious food, and we all lounged on the deck and had several opportunities to depart the boat and explore some of the villages along the river. I even visited a loval school and got to interact with the children, and yesterday we travelled to the Pak Ou caves where I got some great pictures of the thousands of Buddha statues. We will be staying in Luang Prabang for the next two days, and I will have the opportunity to go elephant trekking out in the local forests today and visit some of the surrounding waterfalls. Thank you all for the fantastice messages, and good wishes! I have been keeping a long list of all the stories I want to tell you when I return! Chris and Adriana...I wish that I could have brought you here with me...I look forward to the day when I will be reading your blogs about your all of your travels and adventures. Leticia, I have been sketching up a storm and have been thoroughly enjoying the journal and pencils! Thank you again. Being able to relax combined with the new sights and experiences has renewed my creativity and desire to draw. Hugs to all!

No comments: