Sunday, July 13, 2008

Calcutta (Kolkata)


Calcutta is a city that forces you to readjust your scale of what constitutes poverty. I have witnessed poverty in both South Africa and New York City, but Calcutta possesses some of the most extreme examples that I have ever seen. You can’t walk anywhere without being approached by children and adults alike begging for food or money. There are over 13 million people living in the city, and many of them live right on the streets. I now understand how Mother Theresa could have spent her whole life working to care for the destitute and dying in this city. During our short stay we visited the morning flower market, joined a group of bathers at the gahts along the Ganges and washed our feet, crossed the Howrah Bridge, walked through St.Paul’s Cathedral, enjoyed a walk through the Victoria Museum gardens, and wandered around the night markets. However, one of the highlights of the trip was when I got to go back into the hotel kitchen and help prepare our lunch. It was a great way to learn about Indian spices and also preparation methods for their delicious curries! I can’t wait to experiment a bit when I return home.

No comments: